Back In The Day
The professional chimney sweep is just as important of an occupation now as it was when it began over three centuries ago. However, the job of a chimney sweep is much safer and less hazardous now than it used to be. The job was once very undesirable and hard to find applicants willing to fill the job position. Orphanages were often scouted for young men who were capable of fitting inside of the chimney flues, because they were built so narrow. The soot that these boys, ‘climbing boys’, were exposed to was very dangerous and typically caused health problems later in life, like respiratory issues. It was also somewhat common to hear of fatal falls for these boys due to rotting chimneys.
The profession of a chimney sweep has changed a lot since the times of ‘climbing boys’. The modern-day chimney sweeps utilize tools and cameras to check the inside of the chimney flues, instead of physically climbing inside one. The cameras allow the professional to view the interior of the chimney flue and inspect it for any signs of corrosion, damage, blockages, and/or need for repairs and maintenance. One of the most common causes of any blockages inside the chimney flue is due to a buildup of flammable residue called creosote. This is the result of burning wood like pine in your fireplace, and is one of the potential reasons for a chimney fire. It is important to remove any creosote residue that has accumulated inside the chimney flue, as it is highly flammable and can cause serious destruction to the chimney itself. Our professionals at The Hearth Dr. will check to ensure that there are no problems with the condition of your chimney, thoroughly inspect the flue to see any possible signs of cracks or leaks and creosote deposits, as well as any other debris that could be causing an obstruction of proper air flow.
Have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment?
Contact The Hearth Dr. at 9805210398.
We service locations in and around the Concord, North Carolina area.